October is an exciting time for our office as we celebrate Disability Awareness Month. If you are looking to get involved, or just looking to learn more about disability culture, check out the following opportunities!
- Coffee at the Campanile: Thursday, October 1 from 8:30 - 10:30 AM, in front of the Campanile. SDS staff will be handing out free cofffee, sharing information regarding disability history and culture, and promoting the various events planned for October.
- Read & Write Gold Presentation: Monday, October 19 from 3:30-4:30 PM in SAB 102. Brittany Warren will provide an overview of the various features and supports available in this FREE program available to all UNI students, faculty, and staff.
- Lives Worth Living Film Screening and Discussion: Wednesday, October 21 from 7 - 9 PM in the Center for Multicultural Education. As part of Reaching for Higher Ground, Student Disability Services and Rod Library welcome you to attend the first film screening of the year long event "Disability Justice: Past, Present, and Future." Lives Worth Living chronicles the history of the American disability rights movement from the post-WWII era to the passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in 1990. A discussion of the film and disability rights will follow.
- Accommodations 101: Monday, October 26 from 2:30-3:30 PM, in the Center for Multicultural Education. Ashley Brickley will provide an overview of the accommodation process, highlighting frequently asked questions and the responsibilities of both students and faculty in the academic accommodation process.
- SDS Lunch & Learn: Thursday, October 29 from 12-1 PM in the Elm Room of MAU. SDS will be hosting a panel discussion on the experience of disability and receiving accommodations at UNI. Please bring your lunch and join us to hear from current UNI students with disabilities to learn more about how you can create a more inclusive environment for all.
More information about these events can be found on the UNI SDS Facebook page.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all UNI-sponsored events. If a reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in this program, please contact Disability Services at 273-2677 or at email@example.com least one week prior to the event.