down arrowMenu

Student Disability Services

Services for Temporary Medical Conditions

If you believe you have a short term condition that is substantially limiting (i.e. pregnancy, broken limbs, or short term impairments following surgery or other medical treatments), you may be eligible for temporary assistances through Student Disability Services. 


Individuals wishing to request temporary assistances should complete the Request for Services Form as fully as possible. Students should also submit documentation from a qualified healthcare provider that supports the request for temporary assistances. This information can be provided by having the healthcare professional complete the Verification of Temporary Disability Form. Once completed, both pieces of information should be mailed or faxed to the SDS office and the student should schedule a meeting to discuss their need for assistance further.


All temporary assistances are determined on a case-by-case basis.  

Examples of these assistances include:

  • Notetaking assistance
  • Extended test time
  • Scribe or use of a computer for exams
  • Accessible tables and/or chairs in the classroom

Please note that SDS does not provide building to building transportation nor do we provide assistance with the transportation of books and other course materials.  Students are encouraged to use Panther Shuttle and the MET Transit System for transportation around the Cedar Falls area.  Additional information on Panther Shuttle can be found at:

Students who are able to drive, but require the ability to park closer to campus, can contact Public Safety to obtain a temporary disability permit.  Public Safety is located at 30 Gilchrist Hall.  The location of accessible parking on campus can be found at: 

Wheelchairs, crutches, or other medical devices are the responsibility of the student to obtain.  SDS does not provide these services, but can refer students to area agencies that may be able to provide such equipment.


Verification of Temporary Disability Form (PDF)

Request for Services Form - Academic Accommodations (PDF)